Pages

Adventures in Cooking

S
One of the things that has been on my Wellness Plan is to cook once a week.  I have been slacking in recent weeks because I've just been feeling blah.  I started cooking again last week.  It helps with my concentration and my love of food.

I decided to do that in order to try to get better.  When I was depressed, I couldn't concentrate and I was eating terribly.  My stomach was holding a revolt from all the junk I was eating.  While, I'm not eating 100% healthy, cooking once a week does help me mentally and physically.

The last 2 days, I've been cooking with my mother to get ready for Thanksgiving and Hanukkah.  I made homemade applesauce with local apples and cinnamon.  I learned how to peel an apple with a knife, which helped my motor skill coordination issue.  I also helped make the potato pancakes, which make the whole house smell, but not in a bad way.  It makes it smell like fried goodness.

Today, I made pumpkin soup.  It ended up being delicious.  Yes, it was from all fresh ingredients, which definitely makes a difference.  The soup was very simple and easy to make, it was just time consuming.  Salt is definitely a miracle spice, but too much can ruin it.   I love the color of the soup, a bright orange, that reminds me of fall.  I have achieved a small goal in making this soup as it was something that I have always wanted to cook.

Cooking makes life better because it is a skill that takes time and passion to learn.  It always has an end result of either being good or bad.  The good is delicious and the bad you can laugh over.  Even a small change of cooking for yourself/family once a week makes a huge difference in outlook.  It gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

We all have to eat and there is something to be proud of when you produce a good home-cooked meal.  I enjoy learning and food, so cooking made sense for me.  Cooking does make life better.


S
 

Most Reading