Pages

What Makes Me Happy

S
I've been working on this post for a few days now.  Sometimes it's difficult to remember what makes me happy when it seems that nothing in my life is stable.  They are in no particular order, but it is good to have them written down .

1) Friends
    I don't get to see them as often as I'd like because of conflicting schedules, children, life, etc, but my friends mean the world to me.  We laugh together.  We support each other and we have fun.  I know that I'm not a great friend most of the time because of my various health issues, but you are all valued nonetheless.


2) Books
    Best weapons in the world according to the Doctor.   I try to read 3 books a month.  I am a slow reader because I like painting the picture in my mind.  I love to read and it helps me fall asleep at night. I just got the last book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, The Book of Life.  Thanks to one of my students for giving me a gift card. Books can take you to a thousand different places with a nice blanket and a cup of tea.



3) Tea
     Tea is delicious and one of the most popular beverages in the world.  There is nothing better than a good cuppa with biscuits.   There are so many different types for so many different occasions that I have never run out.  The best part is that I can use my vintage tea cups. 

4) Movies
    I've always found movies magical.  I loved the whole cinema experience.  Since I am poor right now, I miss it, as I cannot afford it.  I was in fine film society at Bristol where I got to see an amazing range of movies from classics like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington to more cult favorites like Man hunter.  Right now I am taking movies out of the library, so that I can still see movies.  Right now I'm watching Mandela Long Walk to Freedom.  Movies like books can transport you somewhere else for a few hours.




5) Food
    I have a contentious relationship with food as I don't make the best choices when it comes to what I put in my mouth.  However, a well balanced dinner of fish, vegetables, potatoes and salad makes me feel great.  It's rare that I can get that nowadays, but I savor it when I do.  Learning how to cook also brings me joy.



6) Doctor Who
     Does it need saying?  It saved my life.  I will be writing another post on the only 5 episodes you need to see as to why this show is so enduring and popular.


7) London
    I am an anglophile.  However, I have never felt so focused and peaceful as when I was living in London.  You can just feel the history when you're there.  There are so many places to explore.  You could be there for a lifetime and not see everything.  There is no place like it.  I was truly happy there.  I wear a chain around my wrist that I got at the Tower of London.  I have worn it everyday for 9 years.




8) Candles
    Candles are now more of a decoration or to set ambiance instead of a necessity for light.  I love them for the scent and for the way they look.  Since I am a historian, candles are an echo of the past.  They are useful in stopping the bathroom mirror from fogging up because of its heat.  They also bring me a sense of calm and peace.




9) Perfume/Soap/Bubble Bath
    I put all these in one category because they are things that involve scent.  Scent is the strongest tie to memory.  My favorite is violet.  I feel in love with violets because of Lush and I've dug around for it ever since.  Bubble baths help me relax at the end of the day.  I suppose they all tie into aroma therapy.  It's also something personal that is just for me.  That is why they make me happy.
10) Finally, Making Others Happy
      Working on Pile of Good Things has made me realize how much pain people are in.  I am overly generous during the holidays and towards my friends.  I'm the person that gets something just because it reminds me of them.  Making someone smile is one of the greatest gifts in the world.  Being able to take away the internal anguish for a moment or bring their silent blight into the light of the world is something that will always make me glad that I'm here.




I hope everyone can make a list of 10 things that brings them happiness.  In a world of so much tragedy and senselessness, there can be thing that bring joy.
S
 

Most Reading