Pages

Memories of England

S
I wanted to reflect on a happier time and why it was a happier time for me because the last few months have been a trail.  It was one of the toughest fights that I've ever had to fight, but for now I am winning.  I did want to talk about the place that I feel like I belong, England.

I've lived in England twice.  Once in London in 2005 and Once in Bristol in 2008-2009.  These were some of the best times of my life, though they were not without their struggles.  Let's start with my love, London.  I was there for a Study Abroad in the fall of 2005.  I felt happy there because everything fell into place.  I was studying what I loved: poetry and English History.  I also found my dissertation subject, John Wilmot, The Earl of Rochester.  I met my assistant there as well.  I changed my lifestyle a bit while I lived in London.  I walked everywhere, I explored the city and fell in love for the first time.  London is my love.  It's the city where you can live there for 10 years and still not do everything.  Also the city changes.  I know that England is having issues at the moment, but London will not fall.  It's where I feel that I belong.  It was where I discovered myself.  I was a butterfly there.

I went to Bristol for Graduate School.  Though the school kicked my butt and I missed London, I did enjoy my time there.  I made some great friends and I matured somewhat as a person.  I went to counseling when I felt that I needed it.  I made good decisions to improve my health.  What I realized the other day was that I did a version of my current wellness plan without realizing it.  I walked everywhere everyday, sometimes for miles.  I went to the gym 3 times a week as well.  I cooked for myself at least 3 times a week and then had left overs.  I also went to my counseling session once a week and hung out with friends whenever possible.  I would have coffee with Annabel.  I would go out for lunch with Yurie or I'd go to the pub with the history people.  The bottom line is that I took care of myself there.

I know that it is difficult for me to get back to where I am completely functioning.  I just have to be comforted with the memories of my home.  I hope that one day that I can get back to England and find the person I am meant to be.

My favorite place, Wells Cathedral.  I felt true peace there.
 
S
 

Most Reading