Pages

Why I Love the Oscars

S
I love movies because they have a magic quality to show us ourselves and to sweep us away on an adventure for 2 to 3 hours.  Movies are a great distraction and by extension, so are the Oscars.  It's the culmination of a fantasy.

Every person dreams of what it would be like to be a movie star even if it's just for one day.  We fantasize about being famous and glamorous.  The Oscars are the epitome of that veneer.  With all the actresses in gorgeous gowns and the men looking smart in suits. 

Yes, the ceremony is long and some of the jokes fall flat depending on the host.  I did love that Ellen decided to order pizza.  The fact that the nominees were eating the pizza was even better.  I was so happy the Cate Blanchett won for Blue Jasmine.  I didn't see the movie, but I adore Cate Blanchett.  I still think she should have won for Elizabeth in 1998. 

Jared Leto probably had one of the best acceptance speeches that I have ever heard.  He was right when he mentioned the importance of the Dallas Buyers Club bringing attention back to HIV/AIDS as my generation has seemed to have forgotten about AIDS, yet people are still getting infected.  I also loved that he mentioned people who felt injustice for who they are or who they love.  As someone who is different.  I greatly admired his speech.



The Oscars highlight great films and I was so happy that 12 Years A Slave won for best picture because there was such depth and horrific beauty to the film.  It brought to life the wretchedness of slavery in a way that actually hurt.  That film showed me that patience and perseverance can help us survive.  I highly recommend this film.

The Oscars are a night that we can all escape and celebrate great films.  Movies help us to escape.  They inspire us and teach us.  They are entertainment and tools.  That is why I love the Oscars because it allows us to see just how important movies are to our culture and our lives.
S
 

Most Reading