Pages

Substance Abuse

S
I have decided to write about substance abuse in the wake of Cory Monteith's death at the age of 31.  Now, I am not a fan of Glee.  I saw one episode where they butchered Bohemian Rhapsody and said never again.  I am writing because addiction is a real disease and it is deadly.  I am writing about it because people who suffer from mental illness tend to get mixed up with drugs or drink because they don't know how else to stop their pain.  Addiction results in death.  Addiction like depression touches every facet of the sufferer's life.

I have to say one of my symptoms when trying to stop cutting would be that my alcohol consumption would go up.  At parties, I would drink until I would pass out or get sick.  I didn't realize that my depression was starting to creep up.  I know that my behavior was concerning to everyone.  I would really just binge at parties, but it could have easily spiraled out of control.

Some people believe that they can control their addiction like they can control their mental illness.  This is called denial because they want to believe they are well or can handle things and it is tragic that they can't.  You want to shake them, convince them they need help and they won't listen.  I know because I was like that.  He still is like that.  I was like that because I believed that I had beaten my issues, but they returned like a cancer.

Addiction and mental illness has relapses.  They haunt you and there is always a fear that they will return.  We lie to ourselves and just crave the one more time and then we'll quit.  However that one more time can be what kills us.  Cutting was like an addiction to me and there are times that I still want to.  It won't kill me but it can cause serious damage.  Maybe Cory wanted one more time or was just enjoying time with his friends, but it ended up killing him.

If you or someone you love is abusing any type of substance, please find help.  There are great resources out there from counselors to website to rehab centers.  I know that it is difficult, but life can be good again.  There is always hope and help.
S
 

Most Reading